Friday, July 18, 2014

Ombre Blue Nails

Whewww this week went by fast! Which is odd because I thought it was Friday on Wednesday. Then I thought it was Friday again for most of the day yesterday. Now, I know... for sure, I think, that today is Friday. Right?? Right. And that means it's nails day! Whooop.

This was a mani idea that spontaneously popped into my head earlier this week, and I'm so pleased that it came out as well as I'd envisioned it. MAYBE EVEN BETTER. Behold:

Blue ombre nails

I have a tonnn of blue nail polishes, in such a wide variety of shades. Might as well use a couple of them at once, right?

Blue ombre nails with Revlon and Forever21 nail polishes

The polishes I selected were Navy from Forever21's Love & Beauty line and Coastal Surf by Revlon, which is a color that Dave got me for Christmas.

Blue ombre nails Revlon Coastal Surf polish

I really like this Navy polish, you might have noticed. I use it pretty often - including last week! It's shimmer free and super shiny, though it does take 2-3 coats for opacity.

Blue ombre nails Forever21 Love & Beauty navy polish

Coastal Surf is an awesome polish, too. It's really opaque, and the brush is wide and flat - my faaaaav.

Blue ombre nails Revlon Coastal Surf polish



This was the classic sponged-on ombre technique, which I've featured before (here, here, and here). There was a little preview on my Instagram yesterday, to show you how the sponge looked:

Blue ombre sponge nails, Forever21 Love & Beauty navy polish and Revlon Coatal Surf polish

Aaaand here are how my crazy fingers looked after I sponged that shit on:

Blue ombre sponged on nails, pre clean-up
After that mess, you can imagine that it took me SO long to clean my nails up to the point that you see in these pictures. SO LONG. Meticulously, with two different nail art brushes dipped gingerly into acetone. Dip, clean, repeat. And it still isn't perfect! Oy!!

Blue ombre sponged on nails




Blue ombre sponged on nails

What are you rocking on your nails today?

Have you done the ombre method on your nails before? It's SEW EASY. DEW IT.

Anyone doing anything fancy this weekend? (I happen to actually be doing something fancy on Sunday - tell you about it later!)

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
PINTEREST
INSTAGRAM
Follow on Bloglovin
{Linking with The Nail Files, Friday's Fab Favorites, and Beauty Buzz}

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! It reminds me of the ocean!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out so pretty!! You are BRAVE, woman. BRAVE! For doing this with BLUE polish! The HARDEST (in my opinion) to clean. I'm impressed with your patience--but the mani was SO TOTALLY WORTH IT! Now, don't you DARE pick these off!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. Blue, my fave. I just followed you on Instagram. I didn't realize that I didn't follow you on there. I'm an Instagram addict. haha.
    http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just followed you back! I'm a little obsessed with IG too, and I've only been on it for 6 months or so!

      Delete
  4. Oh yikes, I didn't realize that ombre nails were so messy! Someone needs to make a nail shaped sponge for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. prettyyy! i want to try these sort of looks but...haven't a sponge nor the patience for the clean up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a package of probably 25 makeup sponges last year, just for my nail polish looks. So far I've only had to use 2 of them for ALL of the sponge/gradient nail looks that I've done! But these manis mooooost definitely require some patience.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous blue choices, Bailey. JUST FABULOUS! I love me a good ombré! As to The Super Long Cleanup, have you ever used bamboo sticks, soaked with acetone? They're my new favourite thing because you can apply pressure and scrape/remove the polish much faster. You can get a huge whack of sticks at Sally's for about $10. You know, if you're interested. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with your ombre nails!!!! Thank your for sharing with #BeautyBuzz.

    xo,
    Janise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them Janise, and thanks for hosting! :)

      Delete

Leave me some love!