Monday, February 24, 2014

LUSH Catastrophe Cosmetic Fresh Face Mask

Another day, another mask to smear all over my face!

I tried another one of LUSH's Fresh Face Masks and thought I'd share with you my opinions on it. This time I picked up Catastrophe Cosmetic, a "blueberry-packed maintenance mask," as the LUSH site describes it.

Lush Fresh Face Mask, Catastrophe Cosmetic


This was on my list of "next masks to try" because - as I've said before - my skin is a real bitch and it needs all the extra love it can get. From the LUSH site:
Prevent disasters by taking regular care of your skin with our deep-cleansing, nutrient-rich blueberry mask. The little blue bulbs are packed with vitamins, and blended into calamine, rose absolute and chamomile blue oil to soothe redness, irritation and cleanse the skin without stripping it of its natural oils. This one is wonderfully soothing on sensitive skin. Treat your face to Catastrophe Cosmetic as often as you can to keep your skin looking its best.
I was already broken out, so I guess "preventing disasters" was not in the cards, but a nutrient-rich mask with calamine sounded like it couldn't hurt.

Lush Fresh Face Mask, Catastrophe Cosmetic, blueberry calamine face mask


Like the other face masks I've tried (Oatifix and Cupcake) Catastrophe Cosmetic should be applied over a clean face and left on for 5-10 minutes before being rinsed off with warm water.

CC is more clay-like than Oatifix or Cupcake. (As a reminder, Oatifix was like an oatmealy banana bread batter and Cupcake had more of a brownie batter consistency.)  The smell of these masks seems to be a big deal for me, personally. What they smell like - and how strongly they smell that way - can be either a selling point or a huge deterrent. In this particular case... it's a bit of a deterrent I'm sad to say!

Catastrophe Cosmetic smells like chalky blueberry floral clay. Yep. Read that a few times. Weird. Anyway, I did as instructed and smeared a nice thick layer of it all over my clean face. You may have seen me show off the look on Instagram. (Oh yeah, by the way, I'm sort of on Instagram now ~> find me at @akaBaileyBlog. Don't mind the lack of a profile picture - I haven't felt beautiful enough to take a selfie in like a month thanks to all of my aforementioned skin problems.)

Trying out LUSH's Catastrophe Cosmetic face mask
.  but i will take this blueberry-smeared selfie!  .
This mask felt like it dried on my skin a lot faster than the other two, I found. I left it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off.

Several minutes after washing off the mask, I noticed that my skin didn't feel clean - it felt like there was still residue on my skin. So I went and re-rinsed. My face still felt un-clean after the second rinse! Did I do something wrong?? My hands even felt dried out, having touched the face mask!

Over the next week or so, my skin did not improve at all. I'd even say my breakouts got worse, though I wouldn't blame the face mask for that. I blame a combination of bad luck, hormones, and possibly... a less-than-stellar diet. #HelloDoughnuts. #HelloIceCream. #HelloSaltyPopcornTwists. #GOODBYESELFRESPECT.

I'd heard that you can actually use these fresh face masks beyond their expiration date if you keep them in your refrigerator. I still had plenty of product left, but my skin was so out of control that I was hesitant to use the CC mask again while I was broken out, so I decided to keep the mask for about a week beyond the expiration date.  When I was finally feeling brave enough to use it again on my face, I opened it up to discover a few spots of mold inside the product, so I had to throw the rest of it away. (By the way, I also rinsed out my little black pot and stashed it with my others, because if you bring back 5 of the empty pots, they'll give you a face mask for free!)

So all in all, I won't be repurchasing this mask. I didn't care for the smell and didn't like the way my face felt after using it. So far the winner of LUSH's face masks is Oatifix, which smells incredible and left my face feeling really soft and moisturized.

Here are all the ingredients inside of Catastrophe Cosmetic:

Calamine Powder , Talc , Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus) , Fresh Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus) , Glycerine , Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis) , Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena) , Chamomile Blue Oil (Matricaria Chamomilla) , Sweet Wild Orange Oil (Citrus Dulcis) , *Limonene , Methyl Ionone , Perfume

LUSH's fresh face masks come in 45g pots that cost $6.95. Let me know in the comments if you have tried one of their masks and think I should check it out!

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
PINTEREST
INSTAGRAM
Follow on Bloglovin
{Linking up with Beauty Buzz}

I purchased this face mask myself!

19 comments:

  1. ooh I didn't think they would mold. i guess they really are all natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES! Maybe the calamine lotion made things an issue? It always feels greasy to me. :/
    Have you tried Boots Beauty USA's Ionic Clay Mask? I just tried it (I have horrid skin...not prone to breakouts, but very dry, flaky, with huge undereye bags and lots of redness) and it was nice...moisturizing, smoothing, not damaging at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewww I can't believe it molded that quickly!! My Oatfix one lasted for over a month later :( Smell is a big factor for me as well, so you're not alone on this one. Perhaps it's the Irish moss that makes it smell not so fab?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh am I weird for looking at that picture of the open container and just thinking how much I want to dig my hands into it and make a mudpie on my face? I hope I'm not the only one. Smelly face masks will be smelly, but hey, that just makes you know it's natural!

    ReplyDelete
  5. chalky blueberry floral clay... sounds pretty gross :[ thanks for letting us know!

    xoxo hobovogue ღ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big fan of skincare products that smell either! Good to know about this one. Thank you for linking up with #Beauty Buzz!

    xo,
    Janise
    http://MamaInHeels.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's a bummer. And eww, mold. I guess they really are fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm surprised about the mold!

    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am using this mask right now and it's OK...the smell is definitely not my favourite as it smells almost artificial. My skin was just very dry after washing it off which was not the case with Oatifix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's a very artificial smell... like I shouldn't have necessarily been inhaling it. Oatifix was like smearing your face with a moisturizing dream cloud, compared to this one.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for every other magnificent post. The place else could anybody get that type
    of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at the
    search for such information.부산달리기

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!