Friday, July 19, 2013

Golden Starfish Nails

Golden Starfish Nails

This week my nail polish is once again inspired by an outfit - this time it's a dress! A few days ago a friend posted a Facebook picture of herself wearing >> this beautiful Reese dress << from Boston-based clothing designer Laurla. Here's the photo collage my friend Lauren posted:

.  cutie patootie  .
I think both dresses provide great inspiration for nail polish interpretations, but I decided to tackle the starfish dress first. I used Ruby Ruby by Sinful Colors (red), Big Spender by Nina Ultra Pro (shimmery gold), and a holographic gold glitter polish by Color Club.

Gold polish, red polish, gold glitter polish
Step 1: Paint all your nails two coats of red polish and allow it to dry completely.

Step 2: Put a few drops of gold polish onto a piece of scrap paper and use a toothpick to dab the gold polish onto your nails in a curved star shape - which makes it look a bit more like a starfish and less like a regular star.

Red nails with a gold starfish
Optional Step 3: I also added a coat of the holographic gold glitter to the top of my thumbnails for some extra sparkle.

Nail art, Red nails with a golden starfish

Gold nail art: starfish on red nails

Nautical nail art, gold starfish
This was a fun and nautical look to try. As it turns out, the dress that Laurla makes is actually a burnt orange color and not a red at all, so... Joke's on me! It looks red in Lauren's pictures though, right??

What do you think of this look? Will you try rocking some golden starfish nails?

p.s. Lauren's own Demoiselle Jewelry inspired a past nail polish look here on my blog! Check out my Fancy Jewelry Nails.

5 comments:

  1. Cuuuuuuute!! That looks great! And I agree with you that the dress totally looks red in the pictures. You were legit bamboozled. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I love that red Sinful polish. Your friend is too cute! I love both dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I'm obsessed with starfish and this is so cute!!

    I'd say it looks burnt orange in the full view but definitely looks deep red in the close up. (I would have also assumed it was red since the close up looks clearer though.) It's still a really pretty look though! :)

    - Toria
    http://toriamasons-treasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cute for summer, I love them!
    xoAmy
    www.dreamingincashmere.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!