Friday, August 16, 2013

Mustard and Navy Nails (with Polka Dots... Obvi)

Having just recently been away from my Vancouver home for a few weeks, I was seriously missing all of my nail care tools. Without my cuticle softener, cuticle pusher-backer and cuticle cream, my cuticles looked... shitty. I'd also left my favorite hand cream at home and was lacking an appropriate nail filer, which was really messing with me - my nails were breaking and flaking and snagging on things left and right.  I couldn't wait to get back to my nail tools so I could give my fingernails some much-needed love and affection.

Now that I've hit "refresh" on my nails, it's time for me to get back to painting fun color combos onto them!

This week I came upon a new-to-me blogger - Chelsea over at Organized Mess - and one of the first things I noticed about her blog was the adorable outfit she was wearing in the header banner on her page. It's a darling little navy blue dress with white polka dots on it, all tied together with a slim mustard-colored belt around her waist. The lettering over her blog banner is also a mustard yellow. I fell in luuurrrve with the color combo of the navy/white polka dots with mustard yellow. So what did I do? Well, I did what I always do when I stumble upon a cool outfit... I turned it into a manicure idea!

mustard yellow nail polish with blue accent nail, polka dots

I bought this essence nail polish this past fall because I'd been on the hunt for a mustard for months and kept finding yellows that were too sunshiney, too lemony, too elementary school/primary color, or too neon. This is the closest I could find to the color I wanted - an autumnal, golden leaf type of yellow:

The color is called Little Miss Sunrise, which I didn't find to be terribly suitable as far as names go. I don't know why but this color doesn't make me want to describe it using the word "sun." Is it just me?

navy blue, mustard yellow, snow me white nail polish
.  navy, little miss sunrise, snow me white  .

What do you think of this combination - are you a fan or no? To see more outfits-made-manis, check out this, this, this, this, and this.

Find me on Facebook!
~ Holla @ me on Twitter ~

Follow on Bloglovin

22 comments:

  1. I love this bailey - I totally thought autumn when I saw that yellow too. You'll have fun with that this Fall! :) Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with the name. Sun, to me is VERY BRIGHT, while that is definitely a mustard. It could maybe be called "Corn-dog," though, which is a way better name that just mustard. OH WAIT! It could be even funnier! What about: "Colour Me Corn-dog"?

    SOMEBODY MAKE THAT HAPPEN! Haha!!

    Love the polka dots too! In fact, this whole mani is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this manicure... and the fact that you find nail inspiration from outfits you come across. :)

    XO,
    SSDS

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S., Besides Goodwill in Bellingham, if you're looking for a place to get lunch, check out Avenue Bread. It's a soup/salad/sandwich cafe... and the food there is AMAZING! My friend who lives in Bellingham says that it's all locally grown. The prices also aren't too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh thanks for all the tips! I'm seriously so excited to go down to Bellingham now - I love finding a good thrift store!

      Delete
  5. Lovely colour scheme, adore the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a combo I wouldn't have thought of myself - that's why I'm so fond of getting inspiration from fashion bloggers! They're all so clever ;)

      Delete
  6. Love!!

    Thank you for linking up with Friday's Fab Favorites!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a fan- very cute!

    http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute mani Bailey! And you did such a great job. I love mani art like this, but unfortunately I'm not that great at painting my nails.

    xx
    Candida
    Merch Maven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candida! It takes a bit of practice but a dotting tool really makes polka dots a breeze ;)

      Delete
  9. That is a great combo - classic colors with polka dots always draw me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color combo definitely seemed retro to me - like an old living room from the 70s ;)

      Delete
  10. These are just adorable! I've never seen a mustard nail polish like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness those are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOh I love the color combo. I never thought of mustard nails before but just might have to give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to find a version of this color that I was happy with - let me know what you find!!

      Delete
  13. I'm so lame I missed last weeks Nail Files!! You did not dissapoint Miss Bailey! I love the mustard you found! Such a pretty gold. I've never tried the essence polishes, but I hear they are a great formula and price! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!