Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Few Good Things, My Workouts of the Week, and Fireworks

A couple of weeks ago there was a Sunset Beach Social going on along Sunset Beach. We walked across the Burrard Bridge to check it out. Here's the view of the party tents from the bridge above:

Sunset Beach from the Burrard Bridge

After walking around the social for awhile, we putzed around downtown for a bit until it was nearly sunset, then made our way back over the Burrard Bridge as the sun set behind the mountains:

It was the night preceding the July 12th Super Moon, so even though it wasn't quite super, the moon was still pretty big that night:

Nearly full moon in Vancouver

By the way, that photo above was taken at sunset - so at about 9:15 at night. That's how bright the sky still is at 9:15 at night around here during the summer. Isn't that nuts?

Moving along, here are all my workouts from this past week. My calves have been sooooo sore from the Thursday lower body workout I did (see below). I guess upgrading to holding 25-pounds in each hand (versus 15-pounds) really makes a difference to my muscles!

7/21 (upper body)
5 mins elliptical
3x:  15 chest press on exercise ball, 12.5 lbs each hand
3x:  12 rear flys, 7.5 lbs each hand
3x:  12 overhead press, 10 lbs each hand
3x:  12 deltoid flys, 7.5 lbs each hand
3x:  12 bent over rows each arm, 20 lbs
3x:  12 deltoid raises, 7.5 lbs each hand
3x:  15 close grip chest press on exercise ball, 12.5 lbs each hand
3x:  12 tricep extensions on exercise ball, 7.5 lbs each hand

7/22 (cardio and core)
20 mins biking
40 crunches on exercise ball, holding 15 lbs
40 Russian get ups, holding 8 lbs
40 weighted v-sit twists holding 15 lbs
40 alternating weighted side bends, 15 lbs each hand
40 cobras

7/24 (lower body)
5 mins elliptical
3x:  12 squats, holding 30 lbs
3x:  40 diamond clamshells each leg
3x:  40 calf raises, 25 lbs each hand
3x:  40 bridges

7/25 (core)
40 alternating weighted side bends, 20 lbs each hand
40 alternating bird dogs
40 Russian get ups, holding 8 lbs
40 weighted v-sit twists, holding 15 lbs

The weather finally turned nice again this weekend, after a grey week. On Friday night after my core workout, I walked downtown to try to stretch out my sore calf muscles. While down there, I ended up grabbing dinner at a restaurant on Robson St. called Abode. Sitting out on their sidewalk patio and sipping on a sugar-rimmed cocktail called Summer Sandals...

Summer Sandals cocktail from Abode on Robson St in Vancouver
.  summer sandals  .
.  vodka, grand marnier, raspberry liqueur, sparkling wine  .
... was a nice way to unwind after the work week. Unfortunately, the instant my pulled BBQ chicken sandwich was set down before me, an intrusive honey bee began dive-bombing my plate and my table till I was forced to say "uncle" while waving my white napkin and running inside to the dining room. No matter - they found me a nice booth inside their dining room next to a window, so my view was nearly identical anyway.

Pulled chicken and slaw sandwich from Abode on Robson St. in Vancouver
.  pulled chicken & slaw sandwich  .
.  slow roasted chicken, super slaw, fresh spinach on ciabatta  .
Yesterday I spent the morning getting some important things done around my apartment, and then headed out with a blanket and my iPod to catch some sunshine on the lawn at Kitsilano Beach for a bit. It's seriously so nice to have the sun back. It changes the vibe of the entire city.

Kits Beach
.  mad peeps on the beach!  .


Speaking of the entire city, I got to check out the first night of the Celebration of Light fireworks last night, which was awesooooome... and it certainly seemed like the entire city was out for it. I was able to watch them right from my beach....

And there were so many people who came out for it! The fireworks were an awesome 25-minute display. Most of my pictures came out terribly, but this one was alright...

Fireworks from 2014 Celebration of Lights in Vancouver

Well it's supposed to be another fabulous day today, so I hope to spend a good portion of my day outside. Have a great Sunday!!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect summer nights! Your photo of the crowd looking over the water with the lit up city up against the dark mountains is gorgeous!
    Kelly @ www.kellydelvalle.net/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le sigh - Vancouver is so lovely in the summer time :) And thank you!!

      Delete
  2. You picture of fireworks is amazing! I have never really learned nightime photography - but it's on my to do list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you've been working this weekend, girl! Those fireworks are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep busy :) And I'm a huge fan of fireworks, so the fact that there's a 3-day fireworks celebration in my city is..... amazing.

      Delete
  4. Loving that moon shot! And the second to last photo, I love the lights lining the landscape. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!